Graduate Teaching Fellowship
In partnership with the Relay Graduate School of Education, the KIPP Houston Graduate Teaching Fellowship provides a unique opportunity for aspiring teachers to learn alongside mentor teachers, while earning a Master’s degree in teaching and a Texas teaching certificate. This prestigious, paid, two-year fellowship immerses fellows in intensive training through coursework and deliberate practice with a gradual on-ramp into teaching. Paired with master teachers during their first year, fellows gradually take on more instructional responsibilities before stepping into the classroom full time their second year in the program. To learn more about the Graduate Teaching Fellowship, click here.
Urban Ed Internship
The Urban Ed Experience is a powerful opportunity for current college students to gain hands-on experience in a top-performing charter school. Students collaborate with the classroom teacher and assist in providing rigorous academic and character instruction to our students. Urban Ed interns in the past have had the opportunity to lead small group instruction, tutor students individually, assist the classroom teacher with the daily lesson, teach enrichment, and participate in staff development. The internship is open to all levels – from freshmen to seniors – and several KIPP faculty members began their career as Urban Ed interns.
- Participants receive an inside look at successful schools in an urban setting, while also receiving hands-on experience with students.
- High-performing participants may use their mentor teacher as a reference for future employment.
- Participants have their “foot in the door” for future opportunities with KIPP Houston Public Schools; many of past Urban Ed participants have become full-time KIPP employees following their experience.
- Participants have the opportunity to network with teachers and other Urban Ed participants.
- Interns are paid $10 per hour and will work a maximum of 25 hours per week.
- All applicants complete an online application and submit a resume.
- Qualified applicants complete an online interview and as a final step, a follow up phone interview.
- All candidates know if they have been accepted into the program within two weeks of their phone interview.
- Interns will be placed at one of the following internships.
KIPP Summer Language Program (June 11 - July 6/Mon - Fri 7:45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.)
KIPP Liberation (5400 MLK Jr Blvd) 5th Grade Summer Camp (June 11 - July 13/Mon - Thurs 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
KIPP Courage (2200 Ridgecrest) Summer School (June 8 - June 28/Mon-Thurs 7:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.)
KIPP CONNECT (6700 Bellaire Blvd) Algebra Tutoring Program (July 16 - July 27/Mon -Fri 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
KIPP CONNECT (6700 Bellaire Blvd) Summer School (July 23 - July 27/Mon - Fri)
The final summer application deadline is May 7.
For more information on each internship and to apply, CLICK HERE
The Substitute Teaching Program provides aspiring teachers an opportunity to teach within the KIPP organization, giving them the experience they need to be successful within a KIPP classroom and the opportunity to transition into a full-time KIPP teaching role. KIPP substitute teachers assume the same responsibilities and duties as KIPP teachers and provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms in the absence of the classroom teacher.
The KIPP Houston Public Schools Substitute Teaching Program provides aspiring teachers an opportunity to teach within the KIPP organization, giving them the experience they need to be successful within a KIPP classroom and the opportunity to transition into a full-time KIPP teacher.
KIPP substitute teachers assume the same responsibilities and duties as KIPP teachers and provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms in the absence of the classroom teaching role.
Each KIPP Substitute Teacher will receive:
- An in-depth training session on tools needed to be successful in the classroom
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- A “foot in the door” for future opportunities with KIPP Houston Public Schools
- The opportunity to network with administrators and other KIPP teachers
Bachelor’s degree is required.
Substitute Pay Rates
Degreed Substitute Teacher
Texas Certified Substitute Teacher